Oakville Independent Schools represent a large employment sector in the community and have a significant impact on the quality of life and education base for future employers.
The OIS represents more than 777* employees and provides a long-term and stable employment base. The OIS also provides a vibrant employment hub for other businesses in Oakville and utilizes the services of an estimated 192 local contract workers, suppliers or services.
Why work at an Independent School?
Teachers at independent schools are offered a supportive and professional environment where faculty and staff are given the autonomy and resources to be effective and influential educators. Some of the reasons teachers choose to work at an independent school are:
- Teachers have greater instructional autonomy;
- Teachers are encouraged to not just instruct, but be collaborators and facilitators;
- Teachers are supported and respected by colleagues and school heads;
- Close-knit school communities that actively support achievement;
- Teaching students is a collaborative approach that actively involves parents in both academic and extracurricular aspects;
- Students come to an environment where they are expected to come prepared to learn.
All job listings are provided by OIS member schools. For more information about each listing, please contact the school directly.
Note: Not all OIS member schools use this site for all employment listings.
*Statistics obtained from the Oakville Independent Schools economic impact statement 2007-2008.
Listing of jobs by school
After School Program Coordinator
Established in 1968, Dearcroft is Oakville’s original Montessori School and the first in our community to offer a comprehensive Junior High (Grade 7/8) program since 1999. Now operating for 50 years, we offer a full toddler (18 months) to Grade 8 program. Dearcroft is a fully accredited charter member of CCMA (Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators) and O.I.S. (Oakville Independent Schools). Dearcroft Montessori School’s mission is to provide our students with the opportunity to develop and nurture their individual academic and social strengths in a safe and motivational learning environment. Within classically structured and equipped Montessori classrooms, immersed in a naturally inspired setting, our students experience an exciting, well-balanced curriculum.
Dearcroft Montessori school is looking for an experienced, organized and responsible person to coordinate the After School Program, where children experience play-based care in a safe environment. Our After School Program begins at 3:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m., Monday to Friday throughout the school year.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Ability to work within a collaborative team environment
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills
- Effective classroom management skills, positive attitude, team player
- Responsible and able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including oral and written communication
- Experience developing and implementing programs for multi-age students
- Experience working in a collaborative Montessori environment preferred
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate must demonstrate experience:
- Working with children (aged 18 months to 12 years old)
- Leading organized activities such as arts, crafts or games and engaging children in a play-based learning environment
- Lead activities by telling or reading stories, teaching songs and providing opportunities to express creativity
- Guide and assist children in the development of proper eating, dressing and toilet habits
- Maintain guidelines for behaviour
- Plan and mantain an environment that protects the health, safety and well-being of children
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with co-workers and community service providers working with children
- Assess the abilities, interests and needs of children and discuss progress or concerns with parents and other staff members
- Registered Early Childhood Educator (certified): 1 year preferred
- Police Vulnerability Safety Check
- Valid First Aid/CPR (with Infant training and AED)
- Up-to-date immunization
Start Date: September 5, 2019
Job type: Part-time (12-13 hrs/wk)
Salary: Negotiable based on experience and credentials ($18 – $20/hr)